Here's a fun, kid-friendly cookie recipe made from marble cake mix! "Good Kid Cookies" are a long-time family cookie favorite from Betty Crocker's Cookbook for Boys & Girls (original 1957 edition). Let the kids loose decorating these delicious cookies. Plus, they provide a fun way to use up some of your leftover holiday cookie decorations.
- 1 Package Marble Cake Mix*
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Shortening
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 Mixing bowls
- Measuring cup for the shortening
- Big spoon (or wooden spoon) and measuring spoons
- Cookie decorations like cinnamon red hots, sprinkles, etc.
- Toothpicks or Wooden Skewers (for making faces and hair with the chocolate batter)
Step 1. Gather all the ingredients and equipment listed above then preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Don't forget to wash your hands for at least 20 seconds!
Step 2. In a large bowl, combine the yellow packet of the marble cake mix with 1 egg, 1/4 cup shortening, and 2 tablespoons water. Set the unopened chocolate marbling packet aside. Mix all the ingredients well. Even though it initially looks like you'll need more water, 2 tablespooons is typically sufficient.
Step 3. In a separate bowl, mix 1/4 cup of the dough with the envelope of chocolate marbling. Add 1-1/2 teaspoons of water and mix well (it sometimes takes a tad bit more water).
Step 4. Drop rounded teaspoons of the plain yellow dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet(s). We like using our hands to roll small "balls" and space them about 3" apart on the cookie sheet.
Step 5. Using a small glass or cup (that has a flat bottom), gently press each ball of dough into flat round discs. We flatten ours to be about 1/4" thick.
Step 6. Use the chocolate dough to make hair, eyes, noses, mouths, googles, mustaches, etc. Then decorate the cookies and make faces using sprinkles, cinnamon candies, and other colorful decorations.
8. Bake the cookies about 7 or 8 minutes. When the timer goes off have mom gently press down on a few cookies to see if they are cooked (no finger imprint should be visible). Be sure not to over cook them. Let them cool for about 10 minutes on the cookie sheet or a piece of wax paper and Enjoy.... mmmmmmm. : )
* A standard yellow cake mix will work too if you don't have a marble cake mix. Just create your own chocolate using a small portion of the yellow dough mixed with about 2 teaspoons of cocoa and 1 or 2 teaspoons of water.